5 Vitamins Women Need Daily

vitamins women need

Vitamins Women Need to Get Every Day

Vitamins can be obtained by making smart food choices. It is estimated that only 7% of women take a balanced diet and rarely skips meals. The other 93% skip meals and consume unhealthy food like ice cream for dinner. This implies that most women need vitamin supplements to protect them from diseases and fill the missing essentials in their diet. However, food sources are the best since most multivitamins are unregulated, and most companies exaggerate their effectiveness. Vitamins are vital for your overall health. Vitamins are essential for growth, development, and normal cell functioning.

1. Vitamin C

It is also referred to as ascorbic acid. This vitamin is responsible for healing wounds and helping the body manufacture red blood cells. In addition, it increases levels of noradrenaline, which is a brain chemical that makes a person more alert and amplifies concentration. When a person is stressed or growing older, the levels of vitamin C decreases. Vitamin C boosts immunity and prevents eye illnesses, prenatal problems, and heart diseases.

Sources
Some of the food sources are tomatoes, strawberries, oranges, broccoli, kiwi, potatoes, grapefruit, and peppers.

2. Vitamin E

It is also referred to as tocopherol. It contains related compounds known as tocotrienols. This vitamin keeps the cells healthy and slows down aging. Too much of it is harmful as it raises the risks of bleeding.
Sources
Vitamin E is obtained from margarine, wheat germ, safflower oil, cod-liver oil, corn oil, peanut butter, hazelnuts, and sunflower seeds.

3. B Vitamins

There are several B vitamins. Nevertheless, three are very important. They include vitamin B9 (folic acid), B6, and B12.

Vitamin B6

It is also referred to as pyridoxine. It helps in converting food into energy, metabolism. It also helps the brain function well and reduces the risks of memory loss. Vitamin B6 lowers the risks of morning sickness, depression, and heart diseases. However, taking too much of it at once could be toxic. Therefore, it is advisable to take foods rich in this vitamin rather than taking supplements.

Sources

This vitamin can be obtained from fish, bananas, cereal, oatmeal, potatoes, avocadoes, beans, meats, poultry, nuts, and chickpeas.

Vitamin B12

It helps in metabolism and helping the body make red blood cells. It also plays a key role in strengthening the nervous system and immunity and boosting energy.

Sources

You can get this vitamin from eggs, meat, yogurt, cheese, fish, and milk. Women with anemia and vegetarians should take supplements to ensure they get enough of vitamin B12.

Vitamin B9 (folic acid)

It helps the body to build a healthy spinal cord and brain. Additionally, it makes the DNA and RNA and prevents alterations in DNA that could lead to cancer. It is required by the body to prevent anemia and to make normal red blood cells. This vitamin is particularly essential for pregnant women as it prevents some birth defects such as spina bifida.

Sources

Foods rich in folic acid include asparagus, melons, fortified grains, chickpeas, kidney beans, liver, spinach and leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, strawberries, legumes, black beans, and eggs.

4. Vitamin D

Even though it is called a vitamin, it functions as a hormone. Vitamin D helps the body transport calcium and phosphorus, which are minerals responsible for keeping bones strong. When you have insufficient vitamin D, the body takes calcium and phosphorus from the bones. Over time, the bones become weak, and this will lead to conditions such as osteoporosis, which increases the risks of getting fractures. Vitamin D reduces the risks to diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and depression.

Sources

You can get vitamin D from eggs, liver, and fish, especially salmon, sardines, and mackerel. Most middle-aged and older women might get the vitamin from fortified foods and supplements. Older women who have been through menopause are advised to take supplements with vitamin D.

5. Vitamin K

This vitamin plays an important role by enhancing blood clotting. It also keeps the bones strong.

Sources
It can be obtained from soybean oil, alfalfa, fish oil, beef, cauliflower, green leafy vegetables, broccoli, and cooked spinach.

Most diet experts say that food sources are better than supplements. Nevertheless, you should consult your doctor and find out which is best for you. Follow the doctor’s directions to ensure you do not take too much or too little than you should.

References
http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/essential-vitamins-for-women-at-every-age
http://www.healthline.com/health/vitamins-for-women#Overview1
http://www.prevention.com/mind-body/natural-remedies/vitamins-women-best-multivitamins

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *